Sunday, May 2, 2010

Lauren's Blog

A Little Life.

There it was; the circle of life right in front of me. My dog Jaxon had pinned a baby bunny, smaller than my hand up to a tree in the middle of the forest behind my house. Me, not wanting the bunny to be hurt, was scared about what I knew, would be a dog’s natural instinct. Inside, I felt that I had to stop my dog from having a little snack.

The frightened baby rabbit was so terrified you could see its little heart beating at the speed of lightning out of its fragile body. My heart sank at the thought of how it must have felt. I knew that I would have to calm the poor little thing down before it had a heart attack or something so I went to my patio and placed the rabbit in my sweater and it cautiously crept up until it was on top of my heart. I saw the little animal slowly close its eyes. This scared me a bit because I could feel the bunny’s heartbeat slow down so, initially I thought that the rabbit was dying but no-I shifted the bunny just in case and surely enough the bunny was alive and well because after I moved her, she placed herself right back to the same spot as before. This made me realize that the logical reason why she was doing this was because the sound of my heartbeat. It was comforting to the little bunny and it amazed me at how relaxed she had become.

This little life that was so helpless without its mother made me realize that life can end in an instant but there are always people and ways that can help, and almost no one would pass up an offer such as life.

1 comment: