Monday, May 17, 2010

BLOG

The girls name Lauren, is pronounced LAWR-en. It is of Latin origin, and its meaning is "the bay, or laurel plant". Feminine form of Lawrence or variant of Laura. The earliest feminine form of the name was Laurentia, dating from the time of the early Romans. The name was first made popular by Lauren Bacall in the 1940s.

Now, that is what the baby name dictionary states what the name Lauren means but what made my parents pick that name? Unfortunately for me, there wasn’t a very good meaning behind my parents choosing my first name besides the fact that my parents though it was nice, it could be used for male or female so later on people wouldn’t judge me on my career if they knew I was a girl or a boy and that it would be cool to have the initials L.L. Not so creative on their parts. They named me but what is a name except for a title put on a person?

People’s names are very fascinating because every so often there are people just look like Bob’s or Joe’s. I don’t fully understand how a person can look like their name but one reason maybe that they are trying to live up to other people’s perception of that name. For example when you think of the name Brittany what do you think of? Ditz, valley girl type, popular, bubbly? Or nerdy, very academically inclined and boring? I would of thought the first three because of the people like Jessica Simpson and people in TV shows like the ditzy, popular girl Brittany in Glee. Although that is very stereo-typical of that name it is the first thing that would pop into my head because of people and show’s like those examples. All I am doing is relating the person to the very popular shows and celebrity’s with name’s Brittany which isn’t exactly fair to any Brittany because no one knows. They could be the smartest person ever but if you already have personality traits set in mind, good luck trying to change your already mind. Or, imagine you are trying to find someone for a job as your lawyer. The people that apply are named Tyrone, Charles, Bubba and Edwin. The names Tyrone and Bubba you would probably overlook because those names sound like very uneducated, ghetto-ish name and Charles and Edwin seem like more high class educated names so you would assume they would be better canadites. Sadly, this happens every day in the business world and there was a study proven and in the book Blink it talks all about this.

If I had the chance to change my name I don’t think I would because I think that everyone’s decisions and choices are chosen for a reason. My name was in the top 10 for best girls names to have so I think I will stick with it. Names can either mean a lot or nothing at all. It takes sometimes 2 second or 2 months to pick a name for something or someone but that name could make a world of a difference in the future.

Name is a fence, and within it you are nameless - Samuli Paronen

2 comments:

  1. I commented on Bianca's Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren
    this is a great post! I liked your introduction, and how you explained more than just what your name was. I absolutely agree with you on what you said, of peoples stereotypes of names. I would have also thought the first due to perception of names. Maybe check over your conclusion, but I really liked this post.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete